It's a good time of year to highlight some of Portland's artists and craftspeople who have been busy making the rounds at various local craft fairs (such as the 4th annual Picnic holiday sale, happening this coming Sunday).
Here's a sampling of locally-produced gift ideas from some of our hometown bloggers and curators. This list is, by necessity, very incomplete, but if you have more suggestions, please feel free to post them with links in the comments.
From the Portland Museum of Art store
- Drop Cloth Winslow Homer Map Case. "These limited edition map cases were crafted by Black Point Mercantile on Prout's Neck, near Winslow Homer's Studio." $90 from the PMA store
- Baxter Building Mug. "Hand-thrown ceramic mug produced locally by Meg Walsh Ceramics. Each of her Architechtural Series of Mugs and vases depicts a Portland building or architectural detail." $46 from the PMA store
Leather squeeze wallet by Ponomo. "Perfect for your phone or music player.
Ponomo was born in 2011 out of the contradiction between founder and head designer Hannah Tarkinson's love for fashion and her empty wallet. Unique embellishments and antiqued hardware adorn each piece." $62 from the PMA store
From Alex Steed's Bourbon, Portland, Beer, Politics blog:
- Screenprinted tea towels by Ktaadn: $26 from the ktaadn.me online store
- Eric Hou's Koalas in the Woods print. $20 from Eric's Etsy shop
- Chrononaut Mercantile's handpainted backgammon tile necklace. $28 from Chrononaut Mercantile's Etsy shop
From Maria Alexandra Vettese's 3191 Miles Apart blog:
- Tandem Coffee — roasted in East Bayside
- Seawall — beautiful clothes sewn and sold on Wharf Street
- Baker’s Notes — the official cookbook from Scratch Baking Co. in South Portland's Willard Square
- Angela Adams — rugs, furniture, and household goods with "a unique and optimistic visual language of color, pattern and form."
- Ferdinand Goods — a letterpress and screenprinting institution, manufacturing cards and clothing from the bottom of Munjoy Hill
- Herron Clothier — hand-woven textiles: the "Elizabeth" scarf is pictured at right
- Seabags — made from recycled sailcloth on Portland's working waterfront
- 3191 Quarterly Subscriptions — from Portland, ME & Portland, OR with this gift!